Fort Yargo State Park Thrill in the Hills 42K ~ Want Some? Get Some!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Fort Yargo State Park Thrill in the Hills 42K



The day before yesterday I ran my first marathon. It was the Thrill in the Hills trail marathon put on by Dirty Spokes at Fort Yargo State Park.

I was somewhat untrained in that I had ran about 4 or 5 runs in the preceding month, and, as a result, wasn't sure what to expect.

And that is exactly what I got.

The course is made of two 13.1 mile loops. I made my way around the first one in about 2 hours flat. I started to get the twinge of calf cramps and so would be the rest of my race. A little crampy, a little nauseous, and a little slow. I ended up finishing in 5:11. But, because there were so few racers at the full marathon distance and only three in my age group, I got the bronze medal for my age group.

When the guy called me up to get my age group award, I told him "I already got my finisher's award." He replied, "This is for coming in 3rd." I told him thank you, shrugged my shoulders, and put it on. Hardly worth a booming "BOOYA!" but I certainly wasn't going to hide my medal.

The one big thing I took away from this race is this: I have issues in races. Mostly with cramps or nutrition. I never have these issues in training. To me that means that I am not training hard enough in order to iron these things out so that I can perform better in racing. So, now, I have a fever, and the only prescription is more demanding and consistent training.

I'm off to train for the Foothills Trail 77 mile challenge on St Patty's Day. Take care everybody and if you want some, GET SOME!

1 comment: